And we’re off. . .

Posted on
Hannah taking the photos she needs to create the 3D model.

Our spring/summer season is off to a busy start. The week before going into the engine tank, we were in the condenser tank. No cleaning or disassembly took place. This draining was to perform maintenance and examine the artifact. We removed and scrubbed the anode and changed the reference electrodes. The condenser itself is in great shape. See photos below. It is now happily back under electrolytic reduction in a brand new sodium hydroxide solution.

Hannah took a ton of photos and using photogrammetry software was able to create a 3D model of the condenser. It looks fantastic. You can check it out here.   Read more

Into the Condenser Tank – Final Week

Posted on
Condenser with support

Following a break in the action that included Will going off to the American Institute for Conservation (AIC) annual conference to give a great presentation on the Worthington Pump casting project, we were back in the condenser tank for one final week of excitement. Will finished up the injection pump supports and they were installed after some minor de-concretion work. Our shiny new anode rig went into place without any trouble at all. We spent half a day up and down ladders, placing new reference electrodes and ensuring that all of the wiring was as it should be. The tank was also thoroughly scrubbed.

Then came the morning we had been waiting for. Everything was in place inside the tank, it was time to add the new sodium hydroxide solution. This action proved once again that the scale of the Monitor project is bit different than anything I have previously encountered, as we added thirteen 50lbs bags of sodium hydroxide pellets to the purified water pumped into the condenser tank. Yes, 650lbs is a lot and a greater quantity of chemical than I have ever previously handled at one time. The filling of the tank marked the end of our work on the condenser for now, and caused a great feeling of satisfaction within the lab.   Read more