A food-tasting event of HISTORIC PROPORTIONS!
Back for a second year! Top restaurants and caterers in Hampton Roads will compete in a food-tasting event of historic proportions.
The event will be emceed by Hampton Roads celebrity “foodie” and “Virginia’s ambassador of taste” Patrick Evans-Hylton, whose columns can be read in Coastal Virginia magazine and The Virginian-Pilot. Evans-Hylton also regularly appears on WHRV’s “Hearsay,” and on WAVY TV’s Hampton Roads Show.
The contestants will prepare a selection of traditional 19th century dishes representing the North, the South and the Navy, preparing their best interpretations of dishes that may include:
- Chicken Croquettes & Rissoles
- Mulligatawny Soup
- German Entremet
- “A Nice Little Dish of Beef”
- Sausage & Apples
- Tinned Beef Pie
- Potato Balls
- Sliced Apple Pudding
- And more!
During the Civil War, coffee beans were not always readily available, requiring folks to get creative about ingredients used to brew “coffee.” Participants will be asked to prepare a coffee beverage without using coffee beans.
Tasters will help award trophies, with awards being given in the following categories:
- Judges’ Choice: our celebrity judges will be joined by Abraham Lincoln himself!
- Ironclad Chefs’ Choice: Civil War food historians Wisteria Perry and Eric Jenneret will choose the most historically accurate dish
- Best Presentation: Also chosen by our celebrity judges
- Peoples’ Choice: 1st, 2nd and Best Coffee Beverage will be recognized, voted on by you!
|Advance (non-member/Museum Member)||$35/30|
|Day of Event||$45|
Tickets include unlimited tastings from all participants and two drink ticket. A cash bar will be available offering beer, wine, grog and other specialty drinks of the Civil War-era. Come hungry!