Hampton Roads Ship Model Society
Current Job Vacancies:
The Mariners’ Museum accepts applications for employment for current job vacancies only.
Openings are posted as they occur. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls or e-mails please.
Please check below for a listing of current full-time and part-time opportunities.
There are currently no full-time positions available.
Protection Services Officer
The Mariners’ Museum is seeking a part-time Protection Services Officer. Responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for visitors, volunteers, and staff that helps grow the audience and provides improved access. Monitor environment to detect potential hazards and notify appropriate personnel for corrective action. Protect assets and provide assistance and service to public and staff according to established procedures. Address visitor and staff complaints and violations. Respond to emergencies regarding potential loss of property or physical danger to visitors or staff.
- Maintain a security post and/or conduct periodic tours of the Museum facility, grounds, buildings, park,
lake and Noland Trail to prevent fire, theft, vandalism, illegal entry, and injury. Acknowledge and respond
to activated alarms, secure facilities, and unlock doors/gates. May be assigned to respond to after-hours
- Maintain order and prevent disturbances. Take corrective action to prevent harm or injury to the public
and/or staff when appropriate. Enforce parking regulations, city ordinances, direct traffic, and assist local
law enforcement and fire officials.
- Enforce rules and regulations on the Museum property as they relate to Museum policies and
compassionately explain policies/procedures in difficult situations to both public and employees.
- Project a positive attitude of service to the Museum, employees, volunteers, and visitors.
- Monitor CCTV cameras, access, intrusion, and fire alarm systems; identify suspicious activity, and
dispatch, direct emergency response to correct the situation. Respond and assist as necessary.
- Secure buildings from storm damage and act as support staff during time of manmade or natural crisis.
- Perform assigned duties, responsibilities, and special projects as directed by the Director of Protection
Services, shift Lieutenants or Administration.
- Follow established Standard Operating Procedures.
Education, Licensure, Certifications:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Possess a valid Commonwealth of Virginia driver’s license.
- Ability to obtain Public Official Bonding and Armed Special Conservator of the Peace appointment and
maintain same during employment.
- Ability to obtain a Commonwealth of Virginia Concealed Weapons Permit and maintain same during
The Mariners' Museum offers a comprehensive benefits package for regular full-time staff, and their eligible dependents which includes medical and dental insurance (cost-sharing involved) as well as term life insurance, long term disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403 (B) pension plan. In addition, paid vacation, sick leave and holiday pay is provided to all regular full-time staff.
The Mariners’ Museum is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and actively encourages applications from minorities, women, disabled persons and veterans.