Our talented team of Museum educators are committed to providing an engaging experience that brings SOL-related content to life for your students. We bring passion and energy to each program to ensure the highest level of impact and retention. To learn more about this program, click on one of the format options listed below.
Choose your experience:
Duration: 2 hours
What was once Waters Creek, a wetland and brackish tributary of the James River, is now Mariners’ Lake, a man-made lake that is part of the 550-acre Mariners’ Park. The Mariners’ Lake watershed is a case study for using history and science to investigate human interactions and coastal change. During this Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) style hands-on program, students will learn about the history of Mariners’ Park and Lake. Working collaboratively indoors and out, they will practice scientific investigation skills to collect water quality data, document and report land cover around Mariners’ Lake, and compare and contrast water flow over permeable and impermeable land cover.
- Practice scientific investigation skills, including data collection, recording, analysis, communication, and teamwork,
- Gain a better understanding of how different land cover can affect water movement through the watershed ecosystem, and
- Use physical models as a tool for the study of watersheds and to compare/contrast water flow over permeable and impermeable land cover.
Science (VDOE 2018):
- Elementary: 5.1; 5.8d
- Middle: 6.1; 6.6 (d,f); 6.8 (a,b,c,d); 6.9 (a,b,e); LS.1(a,b,c,d,e); LS.8(c); LS.9 (a,b,c)
- High: ES.1; ES.8
Payment can be made before the program, or we can invoice following your program.
- Programs at the Museum are $4.50 per student.
All adults accompanying a field trip are free.
- Programs at your location are $4.50 per student.
- Virtual education programs are $125 per program.
Reservations are required for all programs and are booked on a first-come, first-served basis. Programs fill quickly in the fall and spring, so make your reservations a minimum of two weeks in advance.
Need some questions answered?
Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have, or recommend the best program for your class.
Call or email our Education team: