Lifting the AC72

Posted on
The morning of the lift. The cradles and platforms are ready for placement.

Sorry it’s taken so long to get the final stage of the installation of the AC72 written, but the final days of the Speed and Innovation installation and the opening events took up a lot of time!

The goal was to lift the platform about 8′ and place it on columns so the exhibition could be installed underneath. Obviously we didn’t have the luxury of hanging the platform from an overhead crane like Oracle did; we had to lift the platform from underneath. One of the problems we had to work through was identifying the best lifting points. We were pretty sure we could lift at the forward crossbeam using the same lifting points Oracle used. We knew it was the prime lifting point because of photographs showing Oracle’s lifts and because there were removable plates mounted on the underside of the crossbeam that had lifting straps attached to them. We had a quick discussion with Hampton Roads Crane and Rigging and they decided we could position two forklifts under those lifting points.

   Read more

Baker Mfg. Co.’s hard wing sail (part 2)

Posted on

Since May 11th we have spent a lot of time working on the stabilization of the Baker Mfg. hydrofoil’s rigid wing sail.  We had to remove all of the adhesive that held the original canvas covering in place and make a few minor repairs to the structure.

Yesterday Paul Porter from Packaging Systems and Solutions, Inc. came and helped us apply the Clysar covering on the wing.

   Read more

Oracle Team USA’s shore team NEVER looked like this!

Posted on
I dare Oracle Team USA to don high heels and push their boat around!

The platform of USA 17 arrived on January 30th and by February 20th we had the boat assembled and the hardware in place. Chris, our exhibit production manager, had designed, and Hampton Sheet Metal had constructed the four platforms that would support the boat in the gallery. But we had one little problem—well, it wasn’t little, it was about a 6 ton problem—the platform was in the wrong position for the exhibition.

Knowing we would need to move the pieces of the platform around after they were in the gallery we purchased four 3,600lb Yardarm dollies (these are V-shaped adjustable dollies for boats). We worked with Hampton Roads Crane and Rigging to seat the hulls on the dollies as we put the hulls in the gallery (we located them under or near bulkheads to make sure they provided good support and wouldn’t damage the boat). It made moving the hulls around a breeze during the assembly process, but we weren’t sure how easy it would be to move the entire platform. So I did what I always do when I need to move a big boat—I put out an all call to the Museum staff.

   Read more

Installing the hardware in the stern crossbeam

Posted on
Climbing into the stern crossbeam

On the Saturday after we seated the stern crossbeam my husband Todd worked with me to install the remaining hardware between the forward crossbeam and central pod and the hardware that connected to central pod to the stern crossbeam. This was a fairly interesting process as I had to crawl through the stern crossbeam, which wasn’t much wider than my shoulders, to get to the connection point where the hardware needed to be installed.

We had help again from the Oracle guy who couldn’t remember what hardware went where in the form of a few letters and numbers painted on the outside of the central pod near each bolt hole. In most instances these matched up with titanium bushings (and sometimes even bolts) with engraved letters or numbers—but not always. We had to spend a lot of time putting hardware in and out of each hole until we found the right combination of bolt, bushing and washers. Sometimes we even had to re-position carbon fiber plates that had come loose from the interior or exterior of the connection points.

   Read more

Spanish Rapiers

Posted on

Recently we had to pull several weapons to photography, including several that are on display.  For four of them, three rapiers and a sword, this was the first time any of us were able to get up close to them as they have been on display in Age of Exploration since the early 90’s.  The three rapiers are attributed as Spanish, but one of our curator’s has pointed out that this is most likely inaccurate.

This first one is a  composite rapier with tapering blade, iron hilt, comprising vertically recurved quillons, arms, and a pair of asymmetrical shells framed by a double ring, knuckle guards, globular pommel and later wire bound wooden handle, ca 1600’s.  Its origin is unknown though, and we haven’t found any markings to give us any clues.

   Read more