This position is part-time with an hourly rate of $10.00 an hour. This position will be required to work some weekends and holidays.
The Visitor Services Associate serves as one of the first point of contact for our guests. This is a customer service position that is responsible for welcoming our visitors, assisting them with ticket and membership purchases, and offering any other appropriate assistance that would aid in giving our visitors the best experience. The Visitor Services Associate greets customers at the front desk and conducts sales in the museum gift shop. This position is also responsible for assisting and overseeing any volunteers that may be a part of the Visitor Services team.
• Welcomes each visitor to the museum and assists them with purchasing tickets, memberships, and obtaining information.
• Provides excellent service to visitors by staying aware of all events listed on the Museum’s calendars.
• Ensure high customer satisfaction by answering incoming calls to the Museum phone system, providing correct and current information in a helpful manner and routing calls to the proper departments as needed.
• Responsible for all money collected. The total cash/credits obtained must be reconciled with the amounts recorded in ALTRU or Lightspeed system.
• Ensure all appropriate spaces are ready for visitors by notifying appropriate staff if any actions are required to clean or repair an item or area.
• Ensure that all displays, rack cards, brochures and other supplies are well stocked at all times.
• Ensure that the “I am a Mariner” wall is stocked and organized. Promptly remove any noticeably inappropriate cards.
• Engage and oversee volunteers in completion of their duties.
• Ensure a safe and clean gift shop environment and participate in sales by proactively interacting with visitors.
• Responsible for all money collected.
• Maintain visual merchandise standards, stock shelves and maintain store inventory control.
• Participate in annual physical inventory count and routine cycle counts.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Outgoing, friendly, service oriented. Able to communicate enthusiasm for the Museum and its programs.
• Exceptional communication skills. Must be tactful and display discernment and discretion.
• Must be able to remain calm in confrontational and crisis situations.
• Must have the ability to gracefully handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Must possess basic math skills and basic understanding of debits and credits.
• Basic computer skills and cash register experience helpful.
• Must be able to recognize and function while dealing with several different types of memberships and ticket sales for a variety
• Must be able to accurately and efficiently perform data entry.
Education and Experience:
• High School graduate or equivalent required.
• Minimum of two years’ experience in sales, customer service and cash handling preferred.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work weekends, holidays and occasional evenings.
• Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen prior to employment.