Guidelines for using The Mariners’ Museum and Park Library
In order to preserve our unique collection, we ask that you please observe the following guidelines:
- All visitors register each day. Please print your name and full address in the visitors’ register.
Patrons are allowed to bring laptops, pencils, writing paper and notes, if necessary, into the research area.
- We provide storage for all briefcases, cell phones, cameras, scanners, backpacks, purses, book bags, packages, etc. You may access the area while researching.
- Heavy coats should be left in the storage area.
Access to Materials
- To preserve our collection, the stacks and archives are closed to the public.
To search for items in the collection, use the online card catalog and archival finding aids.
- The library staff will be glad to assist you with your search.
- Library staff will have all requested materials in the Research area at the time of your appointment.
Handling Library Materials
- Care in handling materials is essential for their long-term preservation. We ask that you wash your hands thoroughly prior to handling materials.
- For writing by hand, please use only pencils. We can provide both pencils and paper if you need them.
- Please do not press on the surfaces of books while writing. Do not trace printed materials.
- Please use gloves when handling photographs and documents on vellum or parchment. Gloves will be
- Library staff will create low-resolution digital scans that are available for $1.00 ($0.50 for members) per page. A processing fee of $15 for Museum members and $30 for non-members will be added for scans in excess of 50 pages and will be applied to each set of 50 pages.
- Please note that we follow copyright guidelines.
- Bookmarks will be provided for identifying pages in printed materials that you wish to be scanned.
- Each item presented for scanning will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Fragile or brittle materials and oversize materials that do not fit comfortably on the scanner will not be copied.
- Smoking, eating, and drinking are prohibited in the Library.
- Restrooms are available for your convenience.
- An outlet is available to charge your laptop.
- The Museum’s guest wifi is available if you need access.
Library and Archives