Our talented team of Museum educators are committed to providing an engaging experience that brings SOL-related content to life for your students. We bring passion and energy to each program to ensure the highest level of impact and retention. To learn more about this program, click on one of the format options listed below.
Choose your experience:
Duration: 2 hours
Mariners’ Park is filled with a diverse array of native plants, many of which disperse their seeds in ingenious ways. Seeds venture on high-stakes journeys with the assistance of the wind, water, animals, or even fire, all in the name of colonizing new habitats and avoiding competition. In this session, students will conduct an outdoor nature search of seed transportation tree use. They will also practice nature journaling and inquiry-based discussion with their peers. Taking inspiration from nature, students will then work in small groups on a STEM challenge where they will build and test unique seed transport designs! These activities encourage students to think critically about force, motion, and energy in plant systems. After the classroom portion (75 minutes), students will have a special in-gallery experience connecting trees, art, and boat-building materials from around the world.
- Practice their natural scientific observation and engineer design skills, and
- Gain knowledge of how humans can take inspiration from nature for scientific and social benefits.
Science (VDOE 2018):
- Elementary: 4.1 (a, b, c, d), 4.2 (a, b, c), 4.3 (a, c, d), 4.4 (c), 4.8 (b, d), 5.1 (a, b, c, d), 5.2 (a, b, c, d), 5.3 (b, c, d)
Next Generation Science Standards:
- Elementary: 3-5-ETS1-1, 3-5-ETS1-2, 3-5-ETS1-3; 5-LS2-1
VA Fine Arts SOLs
Elementary: 4.1 (a,b), 4.2 (b), 4.5 (a,b), 4.16 (b), 4.17, 5.1 (a,b), 5.2 (a,b), 5.5 (a,b,c), 5.16 (b), 5.17
Payment can be made before the program, or we can invoice following your program.
- Programs at the Museum are $4.50 per student.
All adults accompanying a field trip are free.
- Programs at your location are $4.50 per student.
- Virtual education programs are $125 per program.
Reservations are required for all programs and are booked on a first-come, first-served basis. Programs fill quickly in the fall and spring, so make your reservations a minimum of two weeks in advance.
Need some questions answered?
Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have, or recommend the best program for your class.
Call or email our Education team: